The Necromancy of Acheron
The ancient necromancy of Acheron is located in the village of Mesopotamos, Prefecture of Preveza, at the point where the river Aheron, with Kokyto and Pyrifleeton, flows down the northwest banks of Lake Aherousia, which was the entrance of the world of souls. It is built on the top of a hill, where guests arrived from the Akimeri Chimeri of Ammoudia village to communicate with the souls of their loved ones.
The Ancient Cassopi
The ancient Kassopi was anointed before the middle of the 4th century. B.C. in a naturally fortified location, on a plateau with an altitude of 550-650 m on the southern slopes of Zalongos. It was a small town that flourished during the 3rd to early 2nd centuries. B.C.
Sights Monuments of Kassopi :
- The Walls of Kassopi
- The North Arcade Market
- The Western Lodge
- The Catalogy
- The Small Theater, or Odeon, or the Parliament
- The Grand Theater
- The Macedonian Tomb
- The sanctuary of Aphrodite
- Houses of Kassopi
Ancient Nikopolis and the Archaeological Museum in Preveza
Nikopolis (the city of victory) was built on the orders of the emperor Augustus Octavian (or Octavius), the first emperor of Rome, to honor the gods, mainly Aktios Apollo or, as others say, Poseidon (the god of the sea ) and Aris (the god of war) for the victory they gave against Marcus Antonius and Cleopatra in the Great Battle of Actium in 31 BC.
The Archaeological Museum of Nikopolis includes:
collection of architectural members from the area of Nikopolis, collection of sculptures from the area of Nikopolis, gifts from the cemetery of the wider region of Nikopolis,
The history of Nikopolis from its abandonment to the modern times and the history of the excavation research and the excavation of the archaeological site from the beginning of the 20th century to the present.
The Aheronta River
Aheron is a river of the region of Epirus and crosses the Prefectures of Ioannina, Thesprotia and Preveza. In antiquity they believed that Aheron was the river, the crossing of which, according to ancient Greek mythology, Hermes delivered the souls of the dead to Harrodas for to end up in the kingdom of Hades. Every soul, passing through the Harrod ferry, had to give from one owl to transport.
In Acheron there are various activities such as kayaking and rafting, while there is the possibility of crossing the river to the estuary of Ammoudia, with a suitable point of descent to the Straits. Also, with appropriate equipment, the gorge of Acherontas is crossed.
The Zalongos Monument
Zalogo, or Zalogo, is one of the historical hills of Greece. It is located north of Preveza, above the village of Kamarina and belongs to the mountain range of Kassopaia in Epirus. His name was associated with the pre-revolutionary period of 1821 and especially with the legend of the Zalongos Dance, where the women who had resorted to the rock preferred instead of turmoil and captivity by the Turks to throw their children on the cliff and then jump, dancing, one after another at the bottom of the rock knowing that measures separated them from death.
The Vrellis Wax Museum
The Museum of Greek History, Pavlos Vrellis, also known as the Wax Museum, is located in Ioannina, in Epirus. It was founded on the initiative of Pavlos Vrellis in February 1983 and opened its doors in 1995 and is the most famous museum of its kind in Greece. It is the work of a single man - Pavlos Vrellis, who for 13 years worked incessantly, only for this work. The purpose of the artist was to represent historical events from different regions of Greece, in natural size within the museum. So he could present the heroes and the role they played in their respective places. With his own ideas, studies and a lot of personal work, he created spaces and people to help the viewer experience some of the events that have passed. The Museum hosts approximately 150 waxworks and 36 historical themes inspired by important events of Greek history.
- The Hidden School during the Ottoman domination
- The martyrdom of Dionysios the Philosopher (1611)
- The Oath of the Friendly Society (1814)
- Thieves and Armatals
- The slaughter of Ali Pasha on the island of Ioannina (January 1822)
- The women of Pindos, during the Battle of Pindus (1940)
- The Headquarters of the VIII Division, in Kalpaki during 2nd wold war in 1940
- The Lady of Ro
The Ancient Dodoni and the Ancient Theater of Dodoni
The Ancient Dodoni was a worship center of Zeus and Dionysus. It was also known as the oracle of the ancient Greek world. It is located geographically at a distance of about 2 km from the settlement of Dodoni and is situated in a closed, long valley, at the foot of Mount Thomas, at an altitude of 600 m.
The Ancient Theater of Dodoni was built in the 3rd century BC. on the reign of Pyrros and follows the design of all the Greek theaters. He had 18,000 spectators and was the greatest of his time. When the Naxos were celebrated in honor of Nai Zeus, in addition to the races at the stadium, theatrical plays also took place.
The theater was destroyed and repaired twice. The first time it was destroyed by the Aetolians with King Dorimachos in 219 BC, but the following year King Philip II of Macedonia began the repairs. In 167 BC, the Roman general Emilio Paul destroyed it until 31 BC. the Roman Emperor Octavian August repaired it to be used as a arena for robberies by the Romans. The wall that is in front of the first seats was built at this time to protect viewers from the beasts.
The bridge of Arta City
The Bridge of Arta is a stone-built bridge of the Arachthos River, built in the 17th century AD, in the city of Arta, famous for its homonymous legendary folk song, referring to its foundation from its humanity. The same term is also a contemporary metaphorical expression when referring to works that are late to be completed, as well as to the legend of the song ("Allmeers built it, the night was shattered").
The Amvrakikos Gulf
Amvrakikos Gulf, one of the eleven best known wetlands in Greece and one of the most interesting in Europe. The Amvrakikos Gulf is one of the largest closed bays of Greece. The entrance of the bay is in the narrow passage between Aktio (on the side of Aitoloakarnania) and Preveza. The bay is named after ancient Amvrakia, a town built on the river Arhathos, in the place of today's Arta.
From the port of Preveza, you can make a daily cruise with eco crusing www.eco-cruising.gr during the summer months. You will have a great opportunity to see dolphins and sea turtles in their natural surroundings and enjoy the beauty of the area!
Lake Ziros and Lake Ziros are located 2 km west of the provincial road of Arta - Filippiada - Ioannina, opposite the Pantanassas Arta community. Administratively and geographically belongs to three municipalities: Filippiadis N. Prevezas), Thesprotiko (Preveza) and Xerobouni (Arta). From January 1, 2011, with the Kallikratis Law, Ziros Lake is wholly owned by the New Zouros Municipality, with the capital of Filippiada, except for a forest access section from Arta-Ioannina Street, which belongs to the Pantanassa Cadastre of the Municipality of Artaia.